Calgary's Best Neighbourhoods
Avenue Magazine publishes its list of the best Calgary Neighbourhoods based on their survey of their reader's preferences. The factors they cite as being key are low crime, good commute times and pedestrian-friendliness. "Pedestrian friendliness" is one of the strangest since very few people actually walk anywhere these days.
Judging the best neighbourhood in the city is really a subjective matter. A good many people love the parks around the city and what is the value of a view of the mountains? This wasn't even included in the survey. I think those who live west of Sarcee Trail and those in the NW section of the city such as Tuscany, Citadel, Rocky Ridge, Royal Oak, Silver Springs and Hawkwood who will tell you they really value those incredible views, and there are those with views of the city that love that too. Views weren't included and views are a factor in the value of Calgary real estate.
The top rated neighbourhoods:
2. Arbour Lake
Also not included was being closer to the mountains for easier weekend commutes to Banff. Being near the Bow River pathway might be key for many active people and being near a lake in city would be a heaven sent thing for many homebuyers, especially for those from the east where water is aplenty. And the neighbourhoods close to the city will be very attractive for those who like the urban lifestyle with the shops and entertainment downtown.
Here's some of the criteria they chose:
- Pedestrian friendly
- High property value (you get a lot for your money)
- Access to major roads
- Close to the river
- Ability to walk to amenities like grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants or coffee shops
- Friendly neighbours
- Low crime rate / feels safe
- A newly developed neighbourhood
- Access to buses / LRT Close to downtown
- Good resale /investment potential
- is a heritage neighbourhood
- Most of the homes have large yards
- An established neighbourhood
- Low density
- Active community or home-owners' association
- Lots of families with children in the home
- Mixed use area with a combination of residential, commercial and retail real estate
- The area has a uniform look
- Most of the homes are large Homes are well maintained
Take the 2013 survey and voice your opinion. What do you think is missing from the survey? Don't forget to leave a comment about your neighbourhood, and if you're a buyer from the east, let me know what neighbourhood features you're looking for.