Find us on...


Login using...

New Search X

Home During a Tornado? What To Do & What Not To Do

Posted by John Mayberry on Wednesday, August 5th, 2015 at 6:26pm.


Home During a Tornado? What To Do & What Not To Do

If you find yourself home during a tornado, the safest place in the house is the interior part of a basement. If there is no basement, go to an inside room, without windows, on the lowest floor. This could be a centre hallway, bathroom, or closet.

For added protection, get under something sturdy such as a heavy table or workbench. If possible, cover your body with a blanket, sleeping bag, or mattress, and protect your head with anything available--even your hands. Avoid taking shelter where there are heavy objects, such as pianos or refrigerators, on the area of floor that is directly above you. They could fall though the floor if the tornado strikes your house.

If you find yourself in a trailer or mobile home, leave and find safer shelter in a permanent building. Mobile homes can turn over during strong winds. Even mobile homes with a tie-down system cannot withstand the force of tornado winds.


Do You Need A Building Permit For That?

In Alberta, a Development Permit is generally required for new construction or if you are changing the use of an existing building. This includes:

• Some additions and some new homes (depending on where you’re located).

• Fences that exceed the height restriction for your land use district. 

• Retaining walls one metre in height and higher.

• Adding a secondary suite to your residence.

• Any development, such as retaining walls, fences, decks, and additions, if your home is located near a river.

A Building Permit is also required if you are looking to demolish, relocate, repair, alter or make additions to an existing building or structure. This includes:

• Basement development. 

• Decks that are more than 600mm above grade at any point.

• Detached garages and carports. 

• Factory-built (metal) wood burning fire replaces and stoves.

• Swimming pools, hot tubs, some ponds (water features).

For more information view the Alberta Building Code Guide.


Contact us Now at 403-921-7355 For A Free Market Evaluation. Our goal is to meet all of your real estate needs. We look forward to hearing from you. We are happy to answer ANY questions you may have.


Leave a Comment